Posts Tagged ‘coffee’
1. 8 Benefits of Drinking Green Smoothies (via Care2)
2. How Coffee become decaffeinated (via Serious Eats)
3. Large Forks makes us eat less, study shows (via Live Science)
4. Make and Eat: Thomas Keller’s Macaroni Gratin recipe
5. How much Water do we actually need to drink per day? (via Fooducate)
1. What to get the Coffee Lover for Christmas (via Serious Eats)
2. The Cost of Dining Out between 2000 and 2010 (via ISSF)
3. Why Honeybees are starting to die off (via slashfood)
4. Make This: Fresh Gingered Cranberry Relish Recipe
5. Prank Caller impersonating well known Chicago chef comes from another well respected Chicago Restaurant (via The Feast)
October is Fair Trade Awareness Month. Help support global farmers, fair labor practices, and environmental sustainability. Visit www.fairtradeusa.org to learn more and get involved. Follow them on Twitter, @FairTradeUSA, and Like them on Facebook.
May it be at home, at the grocery store, or in the office, Fair Trade is never far from our minds. But we know that not everyone is as aware of the Fair Trade movement, so we wanted to give you an idea of what choosing Fair Trade coffee means – for the farmer and yourself.
Like oil or cotton, coffee is a commodity… and world prices fluctuate wildly. Coffee farmers never know how much they’ll be paid for their beans. Sometimes they don’t even get enough to pay for the cost of growing them.
Fair Trade certification provides farmers a fair price for their beans with a guaranteed minimum, which means they can invest in their crops, their communities, and their future.
But let’s not forget: Fair Trade also creates some of the best coffee in the world. With Fair Trade premiums in hand, farmers can afford to follow time-honored, environmentally-friendly traditions to produce the finest beans, which allows you to enjoy one of the finest cups of coffee available.
We’re passionate about Fair Trade coffee not only for the reasons above, but also because of how simple it is to have an impact by choosing to purchase Fair Trade. And now, Fair Trade protects farmers and workers in more than just coffee!
Look for the Fair Trade Certified label on tea and herbs, cocoa, fresh fruit and vegetables, sugar, beans and grains, flowers, nuts, oils and butters, honey and spices, wine and apparel, as well as ready-to-drink beverages, body care products and spirits that use Fair Trade ingredients.
Fair Trade products are available from large and small retailers at more than 50,000 locations in the U.S. so it’s never been easier to enjoy quality products that improve lives and protect the planet.
Enjoy this recipe courtesy of Gina de Roma, Fair Trade supporter and author of the cookbook, “The Philosopher’s Spoon: Food and the Transformative Power of Gratitude”. Click here for more information about ordering your copy.
More recipes and information on Fair Trade USA can be found on their Kitchen Monki Farm Profile page.
1. Surprising Health Benefits of Watermelon (via Care2)
2. Study shows ADHD linked to Western Diet (via Healthsetter)
3. Tough Decision!…… Waffle Cone vs. Wafer Cone vs. Sugar Cone (via Cakespy)
4. Simple yet so yummy!…. Recipe: Peanut Butter Pasta
5. Make New Orleans style Coffee overnight (via Lifehacker)
1. 15 Most Expensive Desserts on Earth (via dessertrecipes)
2. Top 10 Foods you should never eat on a First Date (via citypages)
3. PETA’s ‘Human Meat’ demonstration in Times Square (via Huffpost)
4. 20 Most Coffee Consuming Cities in the US (via Daily Beasts)
5. Any excuse for bacon in a salad is a good one…. Recipe: BLT Salad