We love to cook. And eat. We enjoy expanded availability of specialized and locally grown ingredients. We'll shop out-of-the-way places for stuff we really like.
But we sometimes get in a cooking rut. We're busy with kids and work. Staring at our cookbooks lined neatly on the shelf, we can't remember what we want to make. Standing in the produce section with the pressure on, our mind goes blank. Or we get home and realize we're out of a staple item. Or we walk in disorganized circles around the store because our list is a jumbled mess. Or we don't have a list.
We created Kitchen Monki to raise our game. We would save time. We would expand our repertoire. We would eat better. We would be inspired by our foodie friends.
We've been using Kitchen Monki's features since the first days of development. We use it because it works for us. We hope you use it because it works for you.
Meet the Team
Sam Kinney, Top Banana
Sam envisioned Kitchen Monki as a way of integrating a number of his passions. He's an entrepreneur (co-founder of FreeMarkets, now part of Ariba). He was raised in a household with a great cooking and gardening legacy. He actively cooks for his three boys. And he loves automating thinking tasks with software.
Emily O'Brien, Co-Founder
Hanging out in Sam's kitchen one afternoon, Emily noticed that Sam had written a software program to map his grocery list to his local grocery store This is genius, she thought! It is so easy, a monkey could do it. Kitchen Monki was born. Emily worked with Sam at FreeMarkets. She strives to get a delicious dinner on the table for her husband and son every night.
Valan Brown, Code Monkey
Valan Brown was born on February 12, 1809, to Thomas Lincoln and Nancy Hanks, two uneducated farmers, in a one-room log cabin on the 348-acre Sinking Spring Farm, in southeast Hardin County, Kentucky.
Daniel Yim, Community Director
Daniel joined the Kitchen Monki team because he wanted to be able to communicate with grown-ups for a change since he was spending every waking hour trying to decipher and speak baby babble to his infant daughter in his job as a stay-at-home dad. Moreover, he jumped at the chance to engage and operate in a world that was becoming increasingly captivated by virtual connections, more specifically as it relates to his favorite topic: Food. He has a varied work history which has undoubtedly prepped him for this current position: video store clerk, Frito-Lay delivery person, sous-chef, and most recently, Chiropractic Physician. Daniel holds a BS in Biological Sciences from the University of Guelph and attained a Doctor of Chiropractic from the National University of Health Sciences. He currently resides in Chicago with his wife and daughter.
About the Site
We built Kitchen Monki to be a hard-core productivity tool. Use it to organize your own recipes. Use it to share recipes among your friends. Or our favorite, use it to automate grocery list preparation.
If you use iTunes to organize your music, you'll like your ability to catalog, sort, and search your recipes. We've built Kitchen Monki to be your one digital home for all your recipes from all sources.
If you use Facebook, you'll like the news feed that let you know what your friends are doing in their kitchens. You may even meet new friends-of-friends, all based on your common passion for cooking and eating great food.
If you're tired of re-writing your grocery list before going to the store, you'll want to check out our grocery list functionality.
3. CONTENT YOU POST TO THE SITE.
- As between you and us, you own all intellectual property rights in the recipes, images, reviews, comments and any other text, graphical, video or other content you submit to our Site (“Posted Content”).
- You hereby grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sublicensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use your Posted Content in order to make the Site and its features available to other users, subject to the settings you select on the Site when you submit Posted Content. You also agree that we may distribute, display, and make available your Posted Content on third party sites in accordance with settings you specify when you use the Site. With respect to your personal information, profile photo, and other profile information, the license in this paragraph lasts until you notify us in writing that you wish to delete such Posted Content (you may provide such notice by email to email@example.com). For recipes and other Posted Content that you share with other users of the Site, this license is perpetual and irrevocable.
- You represent and warrant that you either own, or have all rights and permissions necessary to submit, your Posted Content.
- You agree not to submit Posted Content that infringes or misappropriates the intellectual property rights or other proprietary rights of any third parties, including their rights of privacy and publicity. You further agree not to submit any Posted Content that is, or contains material that is, obscene, illegal, threatening, or defamatory, or that contains software viruses, commercial solicitations, political campaigning, or any other form of “spam.”
- We assume no liability whatsoever for your Posted Content, and you agree to indemnify us and hold us harmless from any claims brought against us or losses or damages that we suffer that result from your violation of this Section or arise from your Posted Content or actions on the Site.
4. YOUR PROFILE AND ACCOUNT. In order to use some features of the Site, you must create an account with a unique user name and password. We may also allow you to log into Kitchen Monki through Facebook or another third party with whom you maintain a user account. You are responsible for all use of the Site that occurs under your account, so you should keep your username and password secure.
5. NO INTERFERENCE WITH SITE. Except with our advance written permission, you agree not to use any robot, spider, data gathering, scraping or extraction tool or similar mechanism to access or attempt to view or obtain data from our Site. You agree not to interfere or attempt to interfere with the Site or any other user’s access to the site. Further, you agree not to reverse engineer, attempt to gain unauthorized access to, or attempt to discover the underlying source code or structure of the Site (including any feature, widget or application made available through the Site).
6. KITCHEN MONKI CONTENT AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY.
- Except for your Posted Content and content posted by other users, all text, graphics, logos, button icons, and other content on the Site is the property of Kitchen Monki or its suppliers, and is protected by United States and international copyright laws. The compilation of content on our Site is exclusively ours.
- The technology we use to provide the Site is the exclusive property of Kitchen Monki and our suppliers.
7. TRADEMARKS. “KitchenMonki.com,” “Kitchen Monki,” “monkimobile.com,” the Kitchen Monki monkey character, “Your Ultimate Cooking Utensil,” and the Kitchen Monki logo are our trademarks. You may not use any of our trademarks in connection with any product or service that is not ours. You agree not to use our name or trademarks in connection with any other product or service that is not ours, or in any manner that could create confusion about the source of our services. All other trademarks that appear on our site are the property of their respective owners.
8. COPYRIGHT COMPLAINTS. If you believe that your copyrighted work has been infringed by content posted on the Site, please follow our Procedure for Making Claims of Copyright Infringement.
9. LINKING TO THE SITE. You may create and maintain a hyperlink to any portion of the Site that is not protected by your username or password, provided that you do not: (a) portray Kitchen Monki or the Site in a false or misleading manner, (b) suggest any affiliation between you and Kitchen Monki or our Site, or (c) “frame,” distribute, or resell access to the Site to any third party.
12. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES. WE PROVIDE THE SITE (AND ANY CONTENT, FEATURES, APPLICATIONS, OR PRODUCTS OFFERED OR MADE AVAILBLE THROUGH THE SITE) “AS IS.” WE DO NOT MAKE ANY WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND WITH RESPECT TO THE SITE, NOR DO WE GUARANTEE THAT THE SITE WILL BE CONTINUOUSLY AVAILABLE OR SECURE. WE DISCLAIM ALL EXPRESS AND IMPLIED WARRANTIES WITH RESPECT TO THE SITE, INCLUDING IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT. Certain state laws do not allow limitations on implied warranties; if those laws apply to you, some or all of the disclaimers above may not apply to you, and you may have additional rights.
13. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. WE WILL NOT BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY LOST PROFITS OR FOR ANY INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, REGARDLESS OF THE CAUSE OF ACTION AND EVEN IF WE HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. OUR TOTAL LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ANY CLAIM ARISING UNDER THIS AGREEMENT WILL NOT EXCEED $100. Certain state laws may not allow the exclusion of liability for incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation may not apply to you, and you may have additional rights.
1. SCOPE OF POLICY; ELIGIBILITY
Eligibility. If you are under the age of 13, please do not attempt to register for an account on Kitchen Monki or provide any information about yourself to us or other Kitchen Monki users. If we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information from our Site as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We recommend that minors over the age of 13 ask their parents for permission before sending any information about themselves to anyone over the internet, including Kitchen Monki and Kitchen Monki users. We strongly recommend that parents teach their children about safe internet use practices before using any online service -- including ours -- that involves sharing information with other users.
2. INFORMATION WE RECEIVE ABOUT YOU.
Personal Information You Provide To Us. When you register for an account with Kitchen Monki, we ask you to provide certain personal information such as your first and last name, zip code, birthday, and gender. We may give you the opportunity to provide other information to display as part of your profile, or for us contact you or provide specific services to you.
Content You Post. Our Site allows users to post and share recipes, comments, ratings, and other content and information with other users, and to send messages to other users. When you post recipes, comments, ratings or content, we give you the option to make your content private, make it public to all Kitchen Monki users, or share it only with certain users. You should generally avoid submitting personal information in recipes, comments and other content you post, and we do not remove or “scrub” personal information from recipes or other content.
Information We Collect When You Use Our Site. We receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with our Site. We keep track of your “clicks” and pages you view on our Web site, such as when you add a friend or comment on another user’s recipe. We use “cookies” and obtain certain types of information when your Web browser accesses the Site, such as the Internet Protocol (IP) address of your computer, information about your browser software and operating system, and the date and time you access our site. “Cookies” are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer's hard drive through your Web browser to enable our systems to recognize your browser and to provide certain features on the Site. The “Help” feature in most Web browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable some cookies altogether. Keep in mind that disabling cookies may result in some features of the Site not working properly. We also collect information about you submitted by other users, such as ratings of your recipes and friend details submitted by your Kitchen Monki friends.
3. HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
To Contact You. We will use your email address or other contact information you give us to contact you with announcements related to our services.
4. HOW WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION
Third Party Service Providers. We rely on some third party service providers to assist us in operating the Site. For example, we may use third parties to host our Site, send email messages, or provide search results. When we provide your personal information to these third party service providers, they will possess it for only a limited time, and we put in place contractual and technical protections to limit their use and disclosure of your information.
Third Party Websites Through Which You Register for a Kitchen Monki Account. When you register for a Kitchen Monki account through Facebook or another third party site, certain profile information and content you post on our Site may appear on publicly available pages on such third party sites. You can use the settings on our Site or those settings of the third party website to control whether and how some content you post on Kitchen Monki will be automatically posted to third party sites.
To Help Other Users Find You. We may make your profile information and name available in search results to the extent consistent with the settings you choose on the Site. When you invite another user to be a Kitchen Monki “friend,” we share your profile information with that user so they know who you are.
To Give Access to Search Engines. We may allow search engines to access certain portions of our Site, including recipes and other content you have posted.
With Your Consent. We may also share your personal information or content with third parties if you give us your consent.
5. HOW TO VIEW AND EDIT YOUR INFORMATION
Profile Information. You can view and modify your profile information at any time from your profile page on the Site.
Content. You can view and modify your recipes at any time. It may not be possible to delete or modify some content, such as ratings and comments, once it has been posted. If another user has bookmarked a recipe you post, that user will retain access to that recipe even if you should subsequently delete it or make it private.
Account Deactivation. If you wish to delete your account, please email us at email@example.com requesting account deletion. Note that any public recipes you have submitted will remain available for view on the Site (though they will no longer be associated with your deleted account, and users will not be able to identify them as yours unless the content of the recipes themselves reveal them to be yours).
6. SECURITY. We take reasonable precautions to maintain the security and integrity of your personal information, including storage of your profile and personal information on a secure server behind a firewall.
PROCEDURE FOR MAKING CLAIMS OF COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT
If you believe in good faith that your copyrighted work has been infringed by content posted on our Site, please provide Kitchen Monki’s designated copyright agent with a written notice that includes all of the following information:
- An electronic or physical signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner;
- A description of the copyrighted work you believe to have been infringed;
- A description of the URL or other location on our Site of the material you believe to be infringing;
- Your name, mailing address, telephone number and email address;
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- A statement by you, which you make under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your notice is accurate, and that you are the copyright owner or authorized to act on the copyright owner’s behalf.
Our designated agent for copyright notices can be reached as follows:
2819 Elliott Avenue
Seattle, WA 98121
(888) 446-6578 (phone)
(866) 857-1454 (fax)